New

Garland AM-238 - History

Garland AM-238 - History


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Garland II

(AM-238: dp. 625 1. 184'6", b. 33', dr. 10'; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3", 2 4Omm., 6 20mm., 2 .30 cal. mg., 2 dct., 3 dcp; cl. Admirable)

The second Garland (AM-238) was launched 20 February 1944 by Winslow Marine Railway & Shipbuilding Co., Winslow, Wash.; sponsored by Miss Karen Lundberg and commissioned 26 August 1944, Lt. Carl Carmichael in command.

After shakedown out of Puget Sound Garland departed San Pedro Calif., 12 November with a convoy to Rossol Roads, Palau Islands, where she arrived 2 January 1945. The minesweeper acted as entrance control ship at Rossol Roads; escorted convoys between Peleliu and Ulithi until 20 May, then patrolled convoy routes between Ulithi and Eniwetok. She departed Ulithi 28 June escorting a 16 ship convoy bound for Buckner Bay, Okinawa, arriving 17 July.

Based at Buckner Bay, Garland swept mines in the East China Sea (22-31 July 1945) and (13-25 August 1945). Shifting to Ominato Ro, Honshu, she swept Japanese mineflelds to clear the path for Allied transports carrying occupation troops to the Empire. Garland departed Ominato Ro 20 October to serve as flagship of Mine Division 40 at Sasebo until 20 November when she sailed for the United States, arriving San Diego 19 December. Departing San Diego 31 January 1946, she transited the Panama Canal and steamed to Orange, Tex.; decommissioned there 2 August 1946; and joined the Altantic Reserve Fleet. Reclassified MSE-238 7 February 1955, Garland remained in the Reserve Fleet until struck from the Navy List 1 April 1960. She was sold to Ships and Power, Inc. 24 October 1960.

Garland received two battle stars for World War II service.


10 of Chevrolet’s Greatest Racing Engines Throughout History

Chevy engines from history | Source: GM

One of the great things about being an American citizen is freedom of choice. In the case of automotive fanatics like ourselves, this means having the freedom to order a full-blown 454-cubic-inch LSX454R crate motor online or at your local dealership. Powerful, customizable, and easy to drop into just about any rear-wheel drive car, the Chevy V8 is able to deliver just about all the power you’ll ever need.

Driving cars like the insane Cadillac CTS-V with its supercharged 640 horsepower Corvette motor show how easily a Chevy V8 can transform just about anything into a borderline track car. By firing up that bowtie-engineered V8, you’re celebrating Chevy’s lengthy and well-documented history of building race engines. Plus, the neighbors probably need to learn how to appreciate the aroma of race fuel anyways.

With a racing history that spans more than a century, Chevy’s racing engines division has continuously evolved, and today, it resides under a single roof at the all-new Powertrain Performance and Racing Center up in Pontiac, Mich. Thanks to the guys over at GM, who have graciously opened their photo vaults to us, here are the greatest Chevy racing engines of all time, from the Brickyard at Indy to NASCAR to your local drag strip.


WWII – Talley, James H.

James Harold Talley

Born: August 27, 1921 (No Birth Certificate)
Father: William Emmett Talley
Mother: Lilly Black

Married Beatrice Dale on December 10, 1946, separated in March 1954, divorced on May 14, 1955. Adopted William Richard Talley, born May 15, 1952. Married Bonita Breznik on May 27, 1955 in Forrest County, Biloxi, MS. She was born on February 4, 1927 and died April 10, 1961. We had one child, Terry Talley born November 23, 1955.

Married Eleanor Elizabeth Murray Womack on November 7, 1962 in Vidalia, LA. We had one child James Robert Talley born June 7, 1965 and adopted one child, Loura Susan Womack born July 26, 1959.

I graduated from high school in Morrow, LA in 1939. I served in the Army Airborne. I was inducted on October 13, 1942, was overseas December 19, 1943 to April 1945 was prisoner September 19, 1944 – March 1945. I was discharged October 31, 1945 from Fort McClellan, Alabama. First combat jump was D-Day, June 6, 1944 in France and stayed in combat zone until August 1944.

I was taken prisoner near Niemegan, Holland on second combat jump. Prison Group: Stalag 12-A?, Kustrin, Germany approximately 60 miles from Berlin toward Poland.


Pressures of prosperity

As Garland grew to become one of the nation's 100 largest cities, however, powerful neighbors closed in on the Travis College Hill District. It's north and south borders were defined by heavy traffic when State Highway 78 outgrew Main Street and was rerouted.

To the west, Garland High School opened in 1936. As the campus grew and its property became cramped, a cut-through street brought off-campus delinquency and traffic issues to 11th Street.

But a greater threat to the neighborhood was the success of Garland's most established churches. They expanded to the doorstep of Travis College Hill in the mid-1990s. One of them replaced four of the Craftsman homes with a parking lot. Another wanted to do the same. But neighbors banded together and fought off the attempt, preserving the historic neighborhood.

1 / 3 Targeted for demolition by the city, which no longer had space or a use for it, the Pace House was moved to the Travis College Hill District in late 2014. ((File Photo / Ron Baselice))

2 / 3 Located on a former cut-through to the Garland High School parking lot, the Pace House (left) was saved from demolition and moved to the Travis College Hill District in late 2014. ((File Photo / Ron Baselice))

3 / 3 Two of Garland's oldest houses were on flatbeds downtown while their futures were decided. The Pace House was moved to the Travis College Hill District and the Lyles House (right) to the city's new Heritage Park. ((File Photo / Nathan Hunsinger))

Oddly, the oldest house in the district was the actually the last to arrive. At mid-block stands the Pace House, a Queen Anne-style farmhouse with the neighborhood's historical marker and a "circa 1895" sign from its days as a city-owned hall for weddings and other events.

In 2014, the Moores purchased the Pace House to save it from demolition. They moved it from downtown Garland to a lot created from the former back entryway to Garland High.

But that's not all the evolving history in Travis College Hill. The district's first newborn resident in more than a quarter of a century lives on a site R.O. Travis once picked out for his own young family more than a century ago.

Wes and Dawn Peacock had their second child after they moved into the neighborhood in August 2014. The home required required electrical, plumbing and foundation work, and while it's not yet ready for the home tour, the Peacocks still appreciate its link to the past.

"There's a special feeling about Craftsman homes from this era," Dawn Peacock said. "My great-grandmother had a house like this. It was the home I remember from as far back as I remember."

1 / 5 Wes Peacock, his wife, Dawn, and their children, Miles, 5, and Josephine, 14 months, live in a Craftsman home built on the lots reserved for the original developer, R.O. Travis. The street of Craftsman style houses in Garland was added to the National Register of Historic Places. ((Rex C. Curry / Special Contributor))

2 / 5 Cindy Bird and her husband, Jim, have lived in their 1913 Craftsman home for 12 years. Relying on Jim's skills from decades in construction and their historical research, they have made period-appropriate renovations to one of the three remaining homes built in 1913, the year Travis College Hill was platted. ((Rex C. Curry / Special Contributor))

3 / 5 Becky Baxter and her husband, Greg, have lived in their 1918 Craftsman home for 16 years. Becky's scaffold is on the back side of the home now, as she continues to remove paint and repaint the house slat by slat. ((Rex C. Curry / Special Contributor))

4 / 5 Dale Adams and his wife have lived in this 1915 Craftsman home for 10 years. Their two-block street of Craftsman-style houses in Garland has been added to the National Register of Historic Places. ((Rex C. Curry / Special Contributor))

5 / 5 Chris Warden shows off his 1927 Craftsman home on South 11th Street in Garland. Two blocks of the street backing up to Garland High School have been added to the National Register of Historic Places. ((Rex C. Curry / Special Contributor))


Mailing Address

Office Location:

Garland Landmark Museum
393 N. Sixth Street
Garland, Texas 75040

Mailing Address:

Heritage Crossing
P.O. Box 462232
Garland, Texas 75046

By Appointment only, Monday through Wednesday

E:mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Flood Insurance Rate Map: City of Garland, Texas, Dallas and Collin Counties, Panel 20 of 30.

Map issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) for use in administering the National Flood Insurance Program, printed in panels to show precise areas. This map contains a portion of Garland, Texas, including elevations, markings to show areas most prone to flooding, and explanatory notes. Scale 1:12,000.

Physical Description

1 map 66 x 66 cm., folded to 22 x 10 cm.

Creation Information

Context

This map is part of the collection entitled: Map Collections from the University of Texas at Arlington and was provided by the University of Texas at Arlington Library to The Portal to Texas History, a digital repository hosted by the UNT Libraries. It has been viewed 2357 times, with 41 in the last month. More information about this map can be viewed below.

People and organizations associated with either the creation of this map or its content.

Authors

Publisher

Audiences

Check out our Resources for Educators Site! We've identified this map as a primary source within our collections. Researchers, educators, and students may find this map useful in their work.

Provided By

University of Texas at Arlington Library

The Library promotes learning, teaching, and research to enrich the intellectual, creative, and professional growth of students and faculty. More than just a warehouse for books, journals, maps, and manuscripts, the Library is a thriving outlet for services available to users with the single mission of providing quality and innovative services.


History of Garland

Samuel D. Wise loans his younger brother, Jacob B. Wise, $100 to purchase Garland Refining Company.

The company name is changed under Ohio law to The Garland Company, Inc.®

Jacob Wise’s patent for roofing compositions is approved by the U.S. Patent Office, launching Garland’s history of innovation.

Garland purchases large plant and warehouse property at 3800 East 91st Street in Cleveland, Ohio, which remains the company headquarters today.

Plant operations are unionized, making Garland one of the earliest – if not the first – manufacturers of industrial paints to run a union shop.

The Garland Company celebrates its 50th anniversary.

V.L. Wise resigns. Brothers John T. Wise and Edward F. Wise split the company.

On May 1, Mel Chrostowski, Dick Olivier and Doug Raynow enter into agreement to purchase The Garland Company. Their leadership marks the beginning of a new era for Garland. By year’s end, they are joined by Dick DeBacco, Perry Demming, Bill Oley and Elmer Soliday, forming a solid group of visionaries to take Garland to the next level.

Garland formally introduces StressPly®, the first high-performance modified bitumen roofing system manufactured in North America.

Garland initiates employee ownership through the ESOP program.

Garland Canada Inc.® is formed with headquarters in Toronto, Canada.

Dick DeBacco assumes presidency of Garland after John T. Wise retires.

GMX, Inc.®, a manufacturer and supplier of waterproofing and dampproofing products for the building envelope, is created as a wholly-owned subsidiary headquartered in Cleveland.

Garland forges a joint venture with ImageWorks, Inc., a Cleveland advertising firm, to expand public relations and marketing capabilities within the company. ImageWorks remains today as Garland’s in-house marketing department.

The Energizer rubberized liquid membrane for roof restoration is introduced.

Garland becomes the first in the U.S. commercial roofing industry to achieve ISO 9002 certification.

Garland obtains full ownership of Innovative Metals Company, Inc.® (IMETCO), headquartered in Tucker, Georgia, adding to our capabilities high-quality manufacturing operations for structural and architectural standing seam metal systems.

The Garland Company celebrates 100 years of continuing growth and success.

Garland is among the first roofing companies in North America to embrace green technologies, introducing the first green roofing system.

Garland introduces Roof Asset Management Program® (RAMP), the industry's most comprehensive software for tracking and managing building assets.

Commercial Innovations, Inc.®, a supplier of a wide range of high-performance roofing products for contractors and distribution networks, is formed as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Garland Industries.

Garland ISO 9001 certification for research and development begins.

A new business, V2 Composites, Inc.® is launched in Auburn, Alabama to ensure a continuous supply of scrims and to support product and industry diversification.

Garland inaugurates “The Healy,” a new, state-of-the-art product line for roll good products, restructuring and expanding our warehouse around these new capabilities and increasing our total production, warehousing, research and office space in Cleveland to more than 100,000 square feet.d Company celebrates 100 years of continuing growth and success.

Garland is recognized by NorthCoast 99 as one of the best places to work in Northeast Ohio.

The Garland Company UK, LTD® is formed in Gloucester, England to expand Garland distribution in Europe.

Today, Garland’s corporate training center for new salesmen is named the Soliday Center, in honor of Elmer Soliday, one of Garland’s first salesmen and trainers.

Garland introduces the R-Mer Edge product family to protect the roof’s perimeter.

Design-Build Solutions, Inc.® (DBS) is formed as a wholly-owned subsidiary headquartered in Cleveland, to give owners an alternative construction delivery system.

ISO 9001:2000 certification is achieved.

Dave Sokol, who joined Garland in 1990 and served in various capacities from advertising and marketing manager to vice president of operations, assumes Garland Industries presidency.

Garland becomes 100 percent employee owned through ESOP.

Garland acquires a roll goods manufacturer to expand production capabilities.

Garland launches the Garland Greenhouse®, branding our sustainable product line and services.

Garland achieved ISO 9001:2008 certification, assuring customers of our ongoing commitment to continuous quality improvement.

Garland is one of only five regional employers to be honored with the NorthCoast 99 Legacy Award, which is reserved for organizations that have won the NorthCoast 99 award from the Employers Resource Council (ERC) for 10 years.

Garland launches a dynamic new product category, the Dura-Walk® plaza deck system for roofing areas that are to be used for walkways, decking, or vehicular traffic.

Garland adds StressPly® E (Environmental) membranes that feature selected reinforcements, a unique rubber-modified asphalt and surfacing that contain 8% post-consumer recycled content, 27% pre-consumer recycled content and 2.5% rapidly renewable content.

Garland expands its national manufacturing capabilities by acquiring polymer coatings manufacturer, Urethane Polymers International, Inc.™, allowing for the in-house manufacturing of all Garland elastomeric, white roof coatings.

Garland becomes the first roofing manufacturer to have its modified membranes certified by UL Environment, the leading environmental claims accreditation body, for both recycled and bio-based content.

Garland begins manufacturing coal tar-based Millennium® at its Cleveland, Ohio, manufacturing facility.

Garland begins manufacturing all reflective materials at its West Coast manufacturing facility.

Garland acquires DryDog Barriers, LLC and integrates it into GMX, Inc.®, expanding the company’s line of commercial and residential below-grade waterproofing solutions.

Garland acquires a leading plastics manufacturer located in Mt. Airy, North Carolina.

Garland acquires a manufacturer and distributor of heavy-duty temporary floor protection with headquarters in Burbank, California.

Garland acquires alloy manufacturer in the large equipment and oil and gas drilling industries.

Garland acquires two companies in the surface protection industry.

Garland receives the Employers Resource Council (ERC) NorthCoast 99 award for the fifteenth consecutive year as one of the best places to work in Northeast Ohio.

Garland introduces OptiMax®, the world’s first and only thermoset polyurethane-modified membrane designed to retain its resiliency, making it the longest lasting roof system in the commercial roofing market.

Garland introduces R-Mer Shield, an innovative standing seam roof system designed to provide unrivaled strength, durability and waterproofing protection.

Garland introduces KEE-Stone® FB 60, a 60 mil, fleece-backed, thermoplastic membrane modified with DuPont’s™ Elvaloy® HP KEE material and reinforced with a high tensile strength polyester scrim, making it the longest lasting and most durable membrane of its kind in the industry.

During its seventh annual Spirit Week, Garland employees raise more than $80,000 for Ohio Cancer Research in honor of several Garland family members battling the disease.

R-Mer Force, Garland's patent-pending innovative flashless edge metal, is introduced offering unmatched protection for roof perimeters all while saving building owners time and money.

Garland is honored with the Smart Business Longevity Award, recognizing 122 years in business in Cleveland.

Garland is recognized as a NorthCoast 99 best workplace in Northeast Ohio - our eighteenth consecutive recognition!

Garland introduces the CLEAR™ (Comprehensive Laboratory Effective Analysis Reporting) program operated by Garland’s R&D team to test and evaluate roof core samples to answer questions about the system type or identify the source of performance issues.

Garland acquires a leading company specializing in surface, job site and personal protection products.

Garland is recognized as a NorthCoast 99 best workplace in Northeast Ohio for the nineteenth consecutive year.

Pyramic® Plus LO, a water-based reflective coating, is introduced. This new coating smells no stronger than standard house paint, is formulated with urethane chemistry for strength, and includes a biocide package to minimize the growth of mold and fungus on the surface of the coating.

Garland grows its metal product offerings by acquiring a manufacturer of top quality metal roof systems, wall, fascia and soffit profiles, perimeter edge metals and component accessories.

Garland is recertified under the ISO 9001:2015 standard.

Garland is named a 2018 Medical Mutual Pillar Award for Community Service Honoree for its contributions to various regional and national non-profit organizations through its annual Spirit Week tradition.


Post War Growth

After World War II growth continued steadily. There were notable country house sales, some of these truly lavish affairs. Particularly of note was the auction at Eslington Park, Whittingham, Northumberland in 1951, which followed the death of the 7th Baron Ravensworth.

Then in the early 1970's came a sudden explosion of public interest in antiques. Collectors from all over the UK were attracted to the work of North Country artists and craftsmen. An increasing number of international treasures began to pass through the firm's salerooms, adding to those from the region that had accumulated here thanks to its wealthy industry and shipping in the 19th Century. Major house sales during the 1980's included Cardew Lodge at Dalton, Cumbria, Bradley Hall at Wylam and Slaley Hall, Northumberland. In the 1990's important sales were held at Acomb House and Elsdon Tower in Northumberland. More recent large country house contents sales include the contents of The Hermitage, Hexham, in June 2013 and, most recently in 2020, the principal contents of Whitchester Hall, Haltwhistle and Allensford Hall, Consett.

Due to increasing pressure on space, in 1988 Anderson & Garland moved for only the second time in it’s history to new 20,000 sq.ft. premises at Marlborough House, Newcastle. Here the firm was immediately able to take advantage of its vastly increased display and selling opportunities. The first day of the Inaugural Sale realised record figures for certain items and, up until recently, a record for a single days selling for the firm.


In 1832, Hot Springs National Park became the first national reservation set aside for recreational purposes and is the only national park within a city. There are 47 springs along the base of the Hot Springs Mountain. Recreation and tourism have always been mainstays of the county's economy, along with livestock production and logging.

One of the largest quartz crystal mining operations in North America is located in Garland County. Also, the famous Oaklawn Park offers thoroughbred horse racing from February through April. Three lakes, Lake Ouachita, Lake Catherine and Lake Hamilton all offer a full range of water sports and recreation facilities. As of July 1, 2017, Garland County had a population of 98,658 residents.


یواس‌اس گارلند (ای‌ام-۲۳۸)

یواس‌اس گارلند (ای‌ام-۲۳۸) (به انگلیسی: USS Garland (AM-238) ) یک کشتی بود که طول آن ۱۸۴ فوت ۶ اینچ (۵۶٫۲۴ متر) بود. این کشتی در سال ۱۹۴۴ ساخته شد.

یواس‌اس گارلند (ای‌ام-۲۳۸)
پیشینه
مالک
آب‌اندازی: ۱۳ اکتبر ۱۹۴۳
آغاز کار: ۲۰ فوریه ۱۹۴۴
اعزام: ۲۶ اوت ۱۹۴۴
مشخصات اصلی
وزن: 650 tons
درازا: ۱۸۴ فوت ۶ اینچ (۵۶٫۲۴ متر)
پهنا: ۳۳ فوت (۱۰ متر)
آبخور: ۹ فوت ۹ اینچ (۲٫۹۷ متر)
سرعت: ۱۴٫۸ گره (۲۷٫۴ کیلومتر بر ساعت)

این یک مقالهٔ خرد کشتی یا قایق است. می‌توانید با گسترش آن به ویکی‌پدیا کمک کنید.


Watch the video: Girlande Herz und Schmetterling (February 2023).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos